The Lepper Library Association of Lisbon, Ohio, was founded in 1897 with a donation by Virginia Lepper. The building site, two blocks from the main square, and $10,000 were donated by Mrs. Lepper in memory of her husband Charles Lepper, for the purpose of a library to be erected. Also, the first Board of Trustees were chosen by Mrs. Lepper.
The original grand building was designed by George F. Hammond, of Cleveland, Ohio, in the Richardson Romanesque style and construction was started the summer of 1897. The first librarian was hired in February 1898; books were purchased and cataloged with the dedication of the new library in May of 1898.
The library collection, services and patronage grew over the years and in 1941 the first bookmobile was purchased to provide materials to rural areas within the county. This service continued until 2011 when it was eliminated due to library funding cuts.
Two additions were added to the original structure, the first was in the late 1960’s to house the county bookmobile services. The second addition was completed in 2010; it added more room for materials, seating and computers.
Donating to the Library:
If you would like information on donating to the library click on the link below. All donations help us continue our mission to create and support lifelong learners and preserve the Lepper Library legacy for future generations.
Giving To The Library
“We welcome the community to engage in free opportunities that inform, inspire, entertain and preserve local history.”
Peter Johnson – President
Stacey Weber – Vice President
Mary Ann Gray – Secretary
Mary Van Buren
Marcy Kaiser – Director
Cathy Restifo – Fiscal Officer
Board Meetings are held monthly, on the third Tuesday, at 4:30 pm in the Library meeting room.